Thursday, February 28, 2019

The Authority on Motherhood

I went spastic earlier. I was having a conversation with CH. She tells me about how her mom (now 42) keeps her 10 year old brother at home (and out of school) to wait on her hand and foot. I can’t really understand how one would keep your offspring out of school when you have the luxuries of sending them to school free of charge.
I think I almost burst into tears at the thought of that. I’m West Indian. I’m not sure how the educational system is structured in modern day Jamaica, but I do know that My Mom had to work her ass off to keep her 4 kids in school. In Jamaica, we pay school tuition at any age. Be it, kindergarten, Junior High or High School, there is a cost associated with obtaining an education. There are no such things as free text books and to add to the pot we all wore uniforms which of course have to be bought each year. It was tough for my mom – a single mother - to keep food on the table and pay tuition for 4 kids to go to school. And here it is, we live in a country where education is not only mandatory but also free and you have these DEAD beat women keeping their kids out of school to either: serve their every whim or to babysit siblings. Honestly where’s the justice in that?
Where the FUCK IS THE JUSTICE IN THAT?
How DO YOU LAY DOWN? SPREAD YOUR LEGS AND POP 10 KIDS OUT
THEN ASK YOUR OLDEST CHILD TO RAISE THEM WHILE YOU LAY UP ON YOUR ASS DOING NOTHING BUT CREATING THIS PERPETUAL REVOLVING DOOR FOR STRANGE MEN TO WALK IN, FUCK YOU AND LEAVE. You’re like a fucking DRIVE THRU WINDOW at McDonalds, easy and fucking convenient. At 42 you would think you’d get a grip.
Oh but let me calm down because at the end of the day you are someone’s mother. If only I could look at you as such. No you’re not her Mother. SHE’S YOUR MOTHER.

No comments: