Saturday, June 11, 2011

Prologue

It was one of those dreary days.  Not real wintry, just the kind of day that was best spent indoors sipping coffee or a latte.   But not for me.  I had to go against the grain. I was at Barnes and Nobles moaning and groaning on the phone.  Recalling how much I missed Borders Books.  Terique was quite accommodating.  He let me ramble on about how unsatisfied I was with having to shop at B&N when Borders --the love of my life-- had passed away (went out of business).  So  here I was perusing the aisles, looking for books in Fantasy fiction and Fiction; indecisive  about what I wanted to read.   After 4 hours of picking up book after book and putting them back down after seeing the price tag, I finally left with a bargain book and what turned out to be a book I'd already read.  To top it off, the rain was coming down in droves now.  beating against my windshield and the sides of poor little Christine with an unrelenting passion.   Still, it wasn’t so bad.  It was still one of those childhood rainy days where the rain came down so hard  you could see the fog building around the tires of the cars on the Highway.  So I went to TwoBoots nostalgic for some chicken gumbo.   Sat in the car and ate/drank that gumbo like it was my last meal.   There’s something terribly comforting about hot gumbo on a cold rainy day,  It seems to lift the spirits.  Now Here I am contemplating my next move. trying to determine how best to complete this uneventful day.  It’s always been my belief that ones days should be productive and despite the fact I spent 4 hours roaming the aisles of Barnes and Nobles it still feels like a productive day.  Maybe because of the conversational content.   I’ve never talked for hours on end about my varying tastes in literature with anyone.  Well anyone of color.   Terrible as it may seem, I always believed that Black Folks did not like reading.  Yes I realize I’m the odd man out but then again, that’s the story of my life isn’t it?   I should be outside someone's liquor store somewhere, that’s what I really should be doing.   But in true Meshia fashion, I had to be different.  I had to think geek.   So now really my contemplation focuses on which book to read next:

No comments: